Candlewood Knolls Rental Guidelines

Short and Long Term

New Fairfield Town Law:

Candlewood Knolls Rental Guidelines - Short and Long Term Rentals. The town of New Fairfield zoning has enacted laws concerning short term rentals. As well, Candlewood Knolls is adding new guidelines for Short and Long Term rentals in our community. Short and Long term renters must be registered with the Candlewood Knolls Office.

The Town of New Fairfield, Regulation Section 3.1.1 (G) defines Short Term Rentals as the leasing and/or use of a dwelling or residential site and/or structure or any portion thereof by a person or entity other than its fee title owner, for a term of six days or less.

Short Term Rentals are allowed provided that; the following requirements are met:

  1. Issuance of Zoning Permit pursuant section 8.5 based upon a site plan approved by the New Fairfield Zoning Commission in accordance of section 8.1.
  2. The property owner must be in residence on the property or an abutting property.
  3. Payment of a Zoning Permit which shall be $500.00 dollars every 24 month
  4. Property owner must have a certificate of Insurance for the Proposed Use.
  5. Occupancy limitation is 2 people per bedroom.


Candlewood Knolls Guidelines:

All Candlewood Knolls property owners who decide to rent their homes (both short and long term) are expected to fill out a CK Rental Information Form which asks the owner to do the following:

  1. Register renter’s: names, telephone numbers, email addresses and the time period they are renting for with Candlewood Knolls. Also provide the make of car, color and plate number for each car at the rental property. This will allow the office to generate a ̈Renters window placard ̈ for renters to display in their car window. Security can then grant them seamless access to our community.
  2. Provide renters with a copy of our Candlewood Knolls Community Guidelines. The Guidelines can be found on our website. Renters need to initial and return the first page indicating they read them.
  3. Provide a copy of your Dwelling Policy Declaration Page, evidencing coverage of
    the property for occupancy by a tenant. This is a certificate of Proof of Homeowner Insurance with a minimum combination of $300,000 personal and property liability coverage including specific language declaring the property for use by a tenant. If necessary, claims will be made against this policy in cases of damage to the grounds or individuals due to the actions of the tenant or their guests. (Typically, there is no fee for providing this certificate by the insurance company.)

    CK Rental Information Form can be found on the Candlewood Knolls Website or you can call the office at 203-746-4807 or e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for a copy.